If you have a pet that has ticks, you need to plan on what you are doing and how you are going to do it. That means that you first need to make sure that you do not panic. Your pet will not be able to transmit any diseases until there is around 6 to 8 hours of feeding that has happened on the pet. You need to remove it as soon as you can. The sooner the better. You need to make sure that you are wearing gloves as well and that you are never grasping onto the tick by the head. You need to instead have a very steady motion that will allow you to work on the tick until the head then will release. Then you need to put the body of the tick into a jar and call your vet. You need to discuss with the vet and then see if you are going to take it in to be tested for different diseases.
You can then ensure that you are keeping your pet safe with all the additional work that you are doing. After you remove the tick you need to make sure that you are applying some antiseptic as well to the pet so that you are going to keep it from itching. From there you need to look at the following at how you can check on your pet.
How Can I Keep My Pet from Becoming a Snack to Begin With?
Here is what you need to think about in order to keep your pet from becoming prey in the first place. You need to think about the following.
- When walking with your dog always stay away from over hanging trees. That means that you want to watch out for places that all the ticks could drop down from the trees.
- Always ensure that you keep your pet out of the leaves so that you are ensured that you will avoid ticks.
- Always do a check for ticks on you as well as on your pet when you come back from spending time outside. That is going to ensure that you are ok. You want to check all the areas on the body and make sure that you are looking for all the tender areas that your pet could have a tick.
- You also want to make sure that you are checking all your long-haired pets as well because they are going to be more prone to having issues. You need to also ensure that you are brushing your pet after every time you go out with them as well.
- Make sure that you take the time and have your yard clipped. There are many ticks that live on the edge of the woods and you need to ensure that you are keeping them from getting into the house and on your pets.