Emergencies happen all the time and it may mean that you are away from your home when one strikes. Part of that means that you need to have a way to be able to look after your pet and to keep your pets safe. Here are a few things that you can do to ensure that your pet is going to be safe no matter what.
Ensure You Have a Rescue Alert Sticker
This means that you are able to have a sticker that is on your door that will let people know that you have pets that are inside your home. You want to make sure that it is able to be seen by all rescue workers and that means that it is very important that it is in a place that it can be seen by all parties like in a front window. That means as well that you should have the following information in your window. 1. How many pets and the kinds of pets in your household. 2. The name and the contact information as well of your vet. When pets are evacuated from the home there will be an Evacuated mark left on the door.
Have a Safe Place
Make sure that you have a safe place for your pets when there is an evacuation. Also make sure that you do not leave your pets behind when you leave. One thing that you need to realize is if a location is not safe for you, it is equally not safe for your pet. For that reason you need to think about them and realize you need to have a safe place to leave your pets. One thing that is important to note is that most Red Cross Shelters do not accept pets.
- See if your vet has a list of kennels and boarding facilities.
- She if there is a local shelter that will allow you to board your pets.
- Look around your area to see if there are any local hotels that will take care of your pets so that you can take them with you.
- See if there are any animals outside your area that are willing to take your pet in.
Have Emergency Supplies and traveling Kits
Make sure that you have all of the supplies you are going to need on hand for your pets. Also make sure that your entire family knows where the emergency supplies are to ensure that you are able to be ready in the event of an emergency.
- Have a pet first aid kit.
- Ensure you have 3-7 days of food for your pet.
- Have litter as well as paper towels.
- Ensure you also have dish soap and disinfectant to clean your hands.
- Have plenty of garbage bags to be able to clean up after your pet.
- Have pet feeding dishes.
- Always have an extra collar or harness and an additional leash for your pet.
- Have all of the photocopies of your medical records as well as records and a waterproof container as well to ensure you have everything that your pet requires. This will also mean that you are able to have everything that you need to be able to take care of your pet.
- Make sure that you have plenty of bottled water as well so that you will be able to take care of your pet. You need to have at least 7-10 days worth of water to care for your pet.
- Make sure that you also have a travel bag for each one of your pets that will allow you to be ready.
- Have a flashlight as well to be able to care for your pet.
- Have access to a blanket so that you will be able to scoop up and hold your pet.
- You will need to have a photo of your pets as well so that you will be able to identify them to the authorities.
You also want to make sure that you have access to everything that you are going to need to be able to care for the human members of your family. That means that you want to have access to all of the supplies that will help your family stay healthy and safe so that you will be able to weather the storm and return to regular activities as quickly as possible.