Betta Fish are beautiful and colorful and can bring a lot of long term joy as well as fun if you are watching them. One thing that is very important is making sure that you know where you are getting your fish and then how to care for them. You want to make sure that you are doing your homework in order to be able to get the best fish. Here are all of the steps to ensure that you get the best pet you can.
- Check out the store you are thinking of buying from on-line. You want to make sure that you are working with a breeder who has experience in Betta Fish. If you are not able to see good reviews, or if you find any negative ones, make sure you run away as quickly as possible. You do not want a sick fish right out of the gate. All that will do is ensure that you are not off to a good start.
- How clean is the water for your fish? Does he or she have enough room to swim around in their bowl? One thing that can be very bad in the long term for the health of the fish is that many locations do not give the fish enough room to swim, and that means that the fish will not be able to be happy and healthy in their environment and this can do permanent damage to the fins of the fish.
- How bright are the colors of the fish? One thing that you need to note is that male bettas are always very vibrant, for that reason if you do not see vibrant colors there is a good chance that the fish is sick. If he or she is sick they will have white spots all over them and will not look healthy. That means that you want to make sure that you are able to look at the fish and know that they are going to be with you for a while. If you see anything that is white, filmy, or splotchy, make sure that you do not buy the fish, and instead you let the pet store owner know that the fish is sick.
- How do the eyes look? One thing that is very important is to make sure that your Beta fish has clear eyes, that mean that he or she is in good health. It is very important to be sure that you are checking the health of your fish on a regular basis. For that reason, if the eyes of the fish look cloudy, it also means that he or she is probably sick and you do not want to buy a fish who is sick. For these reasons, it is very important that you are able to know in advance what to expect and also to have an idea about how you want to proceed forward.
- Are the fish’s gills moving too fast? This can also be a sign that they are unwell. It is very important to make sure that you are not seeing a fish that is breathing too hard and that you have a fish who is healthy.
- When you look at the other Betta fish in the store are they healthy as well? They should be swimming and moving around in the cage quite a bit, if they are not, that is a bad sign and it is very important for you to consider that you may be getting a sick Betta Fish. For that reason you want to make sure that you see the others that are around you.
- Do not buy a Betta Fish that is not in good health as they will not last and that means that you want to make sure that you have a fish that is in great health and also that you want to have a fish that looks healthy.
Betta Fish are very active and for that reason to ensure that you have one who is healthy you want to make sure that you are checking him or her for all of the telltale signs that are going to keep a happy and healthy fish that is going to be a part of your family for many years to come. There is nothing more empowering than knowing that you have a beautiful member of your family who will be able to stay with you and a new fishy friend.