Schedule a visit with your veterinarian if you will be traveling with your pet.

Inform your veterinarian where you will be traveling to, for how long, as well as whether your pet will be traveling by air or car.  Ask your veterinarian about any flea, heartworm, or tick risks for areas you will be traveling to.  If your pet becomes carsick or restless when traveling, ask your veterinarian about appropriate medications or treatments.

Many pets become separated from their people while traveling and often collars are not on pets when they are recovered at shelters.  Seriously consider having your pet micro chipped – animal hospitals, humane societies, kennels, and shelters nationwide are using scanners that will read these implanted chips and let you be reunited with your lost pet.  Microchip procedures are safe, quick, inexpensive, and very common.  Your veterinarian can tell you more about this procedure.

While no one likes to think about it, many pets do become separated while away from home.  To increase the chances of a safe and quick return, bring a recent photograph and written description of your pet including call name, breed, sex, age, any microchip or tattoo numbers, and a description of coat, color and markings including any unusual markings, scars, or other identifying marks, as well as weight and height.

These will be invaluable if your pet does become separated.  Use waterproof tape and a waterproof marker to change your phone number as you travel to your next stop on your trip.

Bring photos of your pet in case he escapes and you need to make “lost pet” posters. Store the pictures in plastic bags you can reseal.  Also, pack a photo of family members with the pet in case you need additional proof that the pet is yours.

Make certain that all vaccinations are up to date and obtain current health and rabies certificates no more than ten (10) days prior to your departure.  You will be required to have these if your pet is traveling by air.  These certificates are also strongly recommended if your plans do not include air travel as you may need to board your pet unexpectedly and many kennels will not accept pest without these certificates.  And, if your pet does require emergency medical care, these will allow this to take place much more quickly and without the potentially dangerous duplication of vaccinations.

Kennels typically require a bordatella (kennel cough) vaccine to be given at least two weeks in advance of boarding.  Even if you are taking your dog on your trip, you may have to board your pet unexpectedly.

Some areas have a higher incidence of Lyme disease-carrying ticks than others.  Especially if you’re camping and kinking with your dog, get a Lyme vaccination well in advance of your trip.

If your plans include traveling with your pet from the United States to Canada, you will need to bring along a certificate issued by a veterinarian that clearly identifies the animal and certifies that your pet has been vaccinated against rabies during the preceding 36 month period.  Be sure to contact the government of the province you plan to visit as each province has its own requirements.

Medical Records: In case of a medical emergency while traveling, it is advisable to bring along your pets medical records along with your vet’s contact information should they be needed for consolation.  Veterinarians cannot write a prescription without a prior doctor/patient relationship.  This means that in order to get any drugs, your pet will need to be examined first by a new doctor.

If an emergency occurs while you are on the road, you can call the American Animal Hospital Association at 800-883-6301.  Have your current veterinarian’s phone number handy in case of an emergency.

It’s important to carry these health and rabies vaccine certificates, particularly if you will be crossing the border into Canada, the US, or Mexico.  All three countries allow dogs and cats to enter if they meet stringent entry requirements.  Depending on the country, exotic pets many be allowed to enter, though they may need further documentation.

Call the Agriculture Department or embassy of the country or state to which you are traveling for information on the vaccinations, documentation, fees, or quarantine that may be required to bring your pet into the country.

Wow, there is quite a long to bring and do prior to traveling with your pets.  A better option would be to hire a pet sitter, and enjoy the time away from all your responsibilities life brings and let the professionals handle your pets.  We would love to help with any pet sitting or dog walking needs you may have.  Please visit our website at https://2pawsupinc.com and schedule your free consolation.  We cover the Gwinnett County Georgia area.  Snellville, Lilburn, Grayson, Loganville, and parts of Stone Mountain and Lawrenceville.  We provide true Peace of Mind.



Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

For security, use of Google's reCAPTCHA service is required which is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

I agree to these terms.